A rich risotto is perfect for cold autumn evenings. With a bit of patience, you can create a delicious meal that might even taste better than your regular restaurant food (because it is made with so much love and only fresh ingredients). Trust me, you don’t want to miss this.
1/3 red radicchio
1/2 brown onion
1 garlic clove
fresh herbs (thyme, flat leaf parsley)
2 butter cubes (each about 2,5cm)
single cream (about the amount of a shot glass)
500ml vegetable stock (I use 1/2 vegetable cube on 500ml boiled water)
seasoning: salt, pepper
- Heat pan and melt butter. Add risotto, diced onions and stir well whilst frying.
- In the meantime prepare your vegetable stock: I use half a vegetable stock cube on 500ml boiled water, stir well.
- Pour some of the veg stock over the risotto, stir and let simmer. I tend to leave so much liquid in the pan, that it is just covering the risotto. As soon as the stock is gone, repeat! This will take a while and patience will be your best friend for the next half an hour. Don’t ever leave the room to just get this or that done, you’ll easily burn your risotto. It usually takes about 4 runs of covering the risotto with the veggie stock and letting it simmer on a medium heat, before it’s time for the next step.
- Add some wine! 🙂 Not too much, do it gradually so you get a better feeling how much liquid is missing.
- When the risotto starts to be al dente, add chopped radicchio leaves, lemon juice and stir. Place lid on pan.
- Add your chopped herbs, a hand full of grated parmesan cheese and a dash of single cream (again, check it’s not getting to liquid!). Stir and let simmer.
- In the meantime: Prep your courgette with a vegetable slicer (create 4 long stripes) and add them to one side of the pan. Gently fry on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add more wine if needed, a final stir and your delicious risotto is ready for serving. Tipp: Use your fried courgette shavings and some leftover herbs for decoration.
Do you have a favourite (risotto) dish? I’m always grateful for a new inspiration. x