“Meatball” And Mozzarella Pasta Bake – Vegetarian, Gluten Free Option
This vegetarian meatball & Mozzarella pasta bake is the perfect dish to prep ahead of work, school run etc. You can even make it the evening before, leave it all in the oven dish and then put it the oven whenever you’ll need it.
- 2 cans of tomato (you can use ready made Napoli sauce if time is of essence)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- dried herbs (oregano, basil, thyme), generous amount
- fresh herbs on top for extra flavour
- salt, pepper
- pinch of sugar
- olive oil (native is best)
- 400 gr pasta (I used gluten free fusilli)
- ready made veggie balls
- 2 Mozarella, cubed
- grated cheese (I mix parmesan and extra mature cheddar)
- fresh basil, if handy
- oven dish
Start by frying the onion, then add everything else (minus the fresh herbs). Let simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes and occasionally stir. Add fresh herbs towards the end.
- Tip: Because the sauce will be mixed with quite a bit of pasta, make sure it’s spiced enough.
Preheat oven and bring pasta to boil, but only cook them al dente (otherwise they’ll get too soft when placing them in the oven). Drain pasta and leave to cool for a bit.
Add “meatballs” to tomato sauce, mix it with the pasta and place it all into your oven dish.
Add Mozzarella, a sprinkle of olive oil, some fresh basil leaves (gently pulled apart, dont cut it!) and give it a stir. Season with salt and pepper where neccessary. Generously cover the top with grated cheese.
BAKE UNTIL CHEESE IS GOLDEN (CA. 20 MIN) ON 180° – ENJOY!