Gluten Free Halloween Cookies
I have to admit, baking these Halloween cookies was a small horror story in itself: Three trials were necessary to finally get gluten free biscuits that were not melting into a big blob during baking or falling apart as soon as you touch them. Well, gluten free baking is not always the easiest… In the end I used Schär’s Gluten Free Flower Mix C with a hint of almond flour and hooray, the cookies stayed in shape! Nonetheless I’m not 100% happy with the result as they lacked a bit of moistness. So if you have a gluten free cookie recipe for cut out cookies, please let me now!
This is how I made these little Halloween cookie friends.
500g Schär Gluten Free Flour Mix C (note: this is not sponsored, I’m just sharing my experience)
300g butter (unsalted)
1 tsp vanilla essence or paste (I usually use Madagascar Bourbon vanilla paste from Nielsen Massey)
2 eggs (whole)
2 egg yolks
60g almond flour
- Mix butter with sugar and vanilla paste in the mixer for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and egg yolks to the mix and stir for another 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Pour in almond flour and the Schärr flour Mix C, stir quickly. Note: The dough will be still quite soft, it’ll dry out and harden.
- Wrap the dough into cling film and leave to rest for one hour in the fridge.
- Roll out the dough on a floured and clean surface. In the end it should have a height of approximately 2mm.
- Use your cookie cutters to cut out dough and carefully place the cookies on a baking tray with greaseproof baking paper. Tip: Make sure you leave enough space between each cookie, they will expand.
- Bake at 175° for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Important: Let cookies cool for at least 10 minutes before moving them for decoration. They will otherwise break very easily.
- Once they cooled down, you can decorate them to your liking. I mixed icing sugar and boiled water for the ghost and added black food colour for the bat and Halloween cat coating.
Ann Clark recipe for classic sugar cookies
Trick or Treat – Love my Rae Dunn Halloween Cookie Jar!
Do you have a favourite Halloween recipe you want to share with me? ♥